Wednesday, June 09, 2010

In Memorium: Sieg Vogt

When I got to WSU 10 years ago, I didn't know much about collection development, and Sieg was my mentor - I also learned a lot of even more important stuff at the occasional times I hung out at Rico's (the local faculty/grad student watering hole) with the gang. When he retired from the WSU Libraries, I "wrote" this and sang it (badly and too fast!) standing on a chair at the retirement afterparty at Rico's. I inherited the political science and criminal justice departments from him (speaking as a liasion librarian, of course!) although I'm not sure even after 8 years that I've really begun to fill his big social sciences librarian shoes! He once gave me a vintage IWW (Wobblie) pin that I wear every May Day; I'll be wearing it at his memorial service this Friday. For more on Sieg's amazing life (he was a true firefighting Hot Shot!) see http://vmalf.blogspot.com/ .

Drinking Song, from Sigmund Romberg's operetta The Student Prince (here's a sample of the way its supposed to go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013AJOAI/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk4)

Drink! Drink! Drink!
The WSU Libraries will never be the same
Drink! Drink! Drink!
We’ve lost a pinnacle of reference fame

No more will Sieg always be around
To save us when Humanities tries to go out of bounds…

Collection development to hell’s gonna go
We might as well move Hum/Soc right into Rico’s…

Drink! Drink!
Let the toasts start
May Si-eg never part
Drink! Drink! Drink!
Let every librarian salute Siegfried Vogt!
Drink! Drink!

No comments: